Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Self Discovery...

Ok, so (un)fortunately in the past year I've been forced to face myself and learn who I really am and who I want to be.  I know... scary! It's been terrifying and freeing at the same time. I think it's really hard sometimes to look in the mirror and face your own reflection. I was pretty much thrust into this world of being uncomfortable and independent. I still have my safety blanket, aka my family, whenever I need it. But ultimately, I have basically had to lose myself to find myself. Make sense? I'm sure most people in their 20's have had to do this. I got out of the bubble, questioned some things, questioned myself, and here I am with my eyes wide open, standing face to face with what we all call LIFE. So here's some of the things I've learned:

1. It's ok to be scared.
2. It's more than ok to make mistakes... you have to learn some things the hard way. 
3. Love by far is the scariest thing ever, but it's worth it if you can look beyond yourself, the right now, and just let your heart connect with something real. 
4. I can be alone with myself.
5. It's not ok to wear a fake smile and pretend like you're ok when you're not.
6. Sometimes I get mad at God and I don't feel guilty about it. 
7. I cry... and I'm not ashamed of it and for the first time ever, I know it doesn't mean I'm weak.
8. I get angry, but I can and will control it. I will never let it get the best of me ever again.
9. I will and always see puppies as my weakness.
10. I'm terrified that I love too much... and when I do, I hold back and I hate it.
11. You can only run so far... physically and metaphorically.
12. It's better to say what you need to say and people get mad than getting mad at yourself for not saying it.
13. I'm scared I will be stuck here.
14. Second chances are not foolish, sometimes you need them because you learn from your mistakes and it's nice to always try again.
15. The things that scare the hell out of you are usually the most worthwhile.
16. Everyone has a reason for the way they are, so don't judge. Everyone around you has been broken and is hurting in some way, even if they don't show it.
17. Forgiveness is more than just a choice, it's an act of love and shows your true character. It's hard to forgive others, but the hardest person to forgive is yourself. 
18. No one can define you and labels are for people who want to be defined... I refuse to be defined.
19. Even if it's hard, keep your heart open. Don't be scared to let someone in. 
20. Simplicity is beautiful and artistic... 2 things that are way deeper than just the visual.
21. Love is the essence of my being... it's who I am, it's what I want to live for. God called me to love with all my heart, and when it is right, I will do so. 
22. Life is hard and it will tear you down... you jut have to cling to hope and even when you want to let go, just keep hanging on because hope is what will get you through. 
23. I am me and that's all I can ever be. I'm still finding myself, but at least I am comfortable in my own skin and I don't have to hide behind anything or anyone. 
24. Some people change you, inspire you, love you, and if you're really lucky, leave impressions on your heart that cannot and will not fade in time. I would like to be that person to someone.
25. Some things really are meant to be (cliche, I know)... even if you don't believe it right away. I'm definitely one to doubt this theory a lot!  But really you never know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment